Scott, my recollection was that SS7 only affected the call setup but not the
transmission characteristics.  It has been a while ago but that is what I
remember.

I believe that the REAL problem was that the system slowly evolved from a
battery and ground to a pretty complicated analog/digital transmission system.
Those that started with the old common battery telephones JUST KNEW that you
had to talk louder on a long distance call.

Very 73 - Mike - K9JRI