From: Don Wilhelm <donw...@embarqmail.com>
Sent: 17 June 2019 16:03:02
To: Conrad PA5Y; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Next Question: DATA A with K3s and Fldigi

Conrad and all,

The POWER control in WSJT-X is a misnomer.  It is actually an audio
level control.  Do NOT use it to control the power with an Elecraft
transceiver - set the audio correctly and use the power knob to control
the power.

While other amateur transceivers can be made to control the power by
varying the audio level, that can be disastrous for Elecraft transceiver
Power Control.  Read the relevant article on my website
www.w3fpr.com<http://www.w3fpr.com>
for a full explanation.

Set the WSJT-X POWER control for 30% to 50% and do the same for the
soundcard control in Windows Mixer, then set the LINE IN gain in the
K3/S to somewhere near mid-range.  By manipulation of those 3 audio
level controls, you should be able to achieve the 'magic' indication of
4 bars solid on the ALC meter with the 5th bar flashing - that is the
"NO ALC" point for the K3/S, KX3, and KX2 transeivers.  The lower 4 bars
of the "ALC" meter are there as an aid for setting the audio levels.
Set the desired power output with the POWER knob - do NOT vary the audio
level.

73,
Don W3FPR