When our club’s plans for FD fell through at the last minute I set up 1B with
my trusty KX-2 with a Bioenno battery and two internal KX2 battery pacs on my
back porch. Got a Par 40-20-10 end-fed up about 40’ in a north-south
orientation only to find band conditions here were pretty bad here in the north
with QRN, QSB and faint signals at best. So switched to FT-8. I was forced to
run QRP (which isn’t an issue as I am primarily a QRP contester anyway) as
anything over 5 watts caused the rig to overheat to the point of automatically
reducing power to 5 watts. Had WSJT, JT Alerts and even N1MM all cooperating
and auto logging so all I had to do was stop reading the newspaper and
occasionally glance over to the computer to see if I had worked anybody since
the last time I clicked on a callsign. Then I started to notice my setup wasn’t
completing a lot of calls which I had initiated. I started to pay more
attention to the screen and discovered that it appeared to me that my signal
was getting swamped out by QRO (100 watts or more on FD) signals which I
couldn’t readily detect. At a suggestion from the FT8 FB group switched on the
hold-my-transmit-frequency button. On CW my rates aren’t much different from
QRP to 100 watts as I’m only 2 S-units down and aggressive operating skills can
compensate for a lot of differences in power and I can deal with QRM I can hear
and see. Not so on FT-8. I am rebuilding my contest station and only have the
end-fed and an HF-2 vertical up right now and know that better results on QRP
are largely antenna and location dependent (oh to live on a saltwater marsh).
Running FT8 with the KX-2 on FD was an education and I’ve got to do some
thinking about how to improve my chances if I decide to try this again. All in
all great fun with some learning but can’t wait for more future propagation.
Maybe I should by the Elecraft amp LOL.