Brian,

ALC should never be used for power control doing so usually causes RF compression and distortion.

Many of the digital application instructions tell you to set for NO ALC as a *maximum* audio level, set the power control for the maximum desired and then reduce the audio level to reduce the power - I think that is why the slider in WSJTX is labeled POWER when it is really an audio level control.

The above method works fine for many transceivers, but NOT for Elecraft which measures the actual power output, compares it with the set power and adjusts the RF drive accordingly. This is a fully closed loop system. As far as I know, Elecraft is the only amateur transceiver using that type of system.

With Elecraft transceivers (except for the K2), adjust the audio drive level to produce 4 bars solid on the ALC meter with the 5th bar flashing (this is the NO ALC point. Then leave it that way and adjust the desired power with the power knob. Doing otherwise will result in low power at the start and power hunting as the transmission goes on.

73,
Don W3FPR