From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of Fred Jensen
Sent: 13 July 2019 00:33
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] ALC implementation

Well ... I think it depends on your definition of distortion.  One can argue
that, if the RF envelope does not exactly equal the original AF envelope, the
signal has been distorted and that is certainly the case when the dynamic range
has been reduced with compression.  It doesn't increase the occupied bandwidth
however [at least not by much]. Clipping mows down the peaks, leaving sharp
"edges" or signal transitions which do increase the occupied bandwidth.

73,
Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County