That's also why the anti-static ground has (must have!) a 1-megohm resistor
in series with it. That way a dangerous amount of current isn't going to
flow in any case while the resistance is still low enough to continuously
dissipate any static charges that are developed. It doesn't matter whether
you accidentally come in contact with the "hot" side of a mains lead or the
positive side of some other power source, the resistor should keep the
current down to safe levels.

So, if you have nothing else, any connection to the earth will work either
as a terminal for the anti static pad/strap with their internal 1 meg
resistors or as a point you can touch briefly (while not touching anything
else) to dissipate any charge on your body just before you handle a static
sensitive part.

Don makes a good point about running a ground wire through the house, at
least to the critical outlets near the ham shack. I'd include, as a minimum,
kitchen and bath outlets as well so they can be equipped with ground-fault
interrupters. I 'grew up' in the age of exposed AC/DC equipment that had one
side of the metal case connected to the mains, and I recall many instances
of touching a panel and noting the slight tingle that warned me that I was
touching the hot side of the mains line because the plug was in backwards.
That was a warning because the next metal panel a few inches away might be
grounded and touching both of them at once would put me across the mains
power! Millions of people survived such wiring without problem, but many did
die. Don't be one of them.

Ron AC7AC