Bob:
Your old house wiring may be BX, meaning it is wire in a spiral armored casing, typically made of aluminum. While not ideal, you may be able to gain an independent ground using this casing. It would require (a) that the casing be continuous from receptacle to receptacle, and (b) that it be well clamped with a BX connector to each receptacle. In this case, you can add 3-prong plugs with ground wires firmly connected (under a screw head, for example) to the receptacle. Once you do this, you can get a "tester plug" from you local jobber or hardware that can be used to determine whether all is well. These tester plugs indicate with lights whether the polarity is correct, the common is closed, and the ground exists.

best wishes,

dave belsley, w1euy