Sounds like the power from the K3 is too high.   Should be about 25 or so watts.  Actually, 20 watts drives my KPA500 to 500 watts output on all bands.  I trust the SWR as seen by the amplifier is 1.5:1 or less.

Do you get any FAULT LED indications on the KPA500? You can use the KPA500 Utility to download and examine the fault table.

73

Bob, K4TAX