Fred sent me the video, which is actually very revealing. First the change rate
is very rapid, higher than I initially expected. The asterisk is on constantly,
and the power off time is not long enough for power to drop to zero. But what I
found very interesting is that the output power indication on the K3 is
fluctuating at the same rate as the KPA500 is indicating. That leads me to
believe that the K3 output is rapidly changing on and off. The next question is
what might be causing this - it might be the K3, but it also could be upstream,
in Fred’s Signalink or perhaps the computer / program that is feeding audio to
the radio system.

With that in mind, and knowing the calibre of folks on the list who are very
adept at digital setups, let's see if we can troubleshoot the system and get
Fred going again the way things should be.

73!
Jack, W6FB