HI

In addition to my experimenting with solar power and SLA batteries I have
also done some playing around with NiMH batteries. There are several
manufacturers making 2700 mAHr AA cells and 700-800 mAHr AAA cells. I use
many sets of these batteries for digital camera equipment and I have tried
several brands. I have found the Maha Powerex AA cells to be reliable and
conservatively rated. I have 30-40 of them and have never had one fail in
several years of use although I have had several batteries from other makers
fail or refuse to take a charge.

I also have several chargers including the Maha MH-C801 8 cell fast charger,
the Maha MH-C401FS and the La Crosse BC-900. All of these chargers charge
each cell separately rather than several in series. They are all
microprocessor controlled and will charge the high capacity AA cells in
about an hour.

A 10 cell NiMH pack can be charged with a solar panel without a controller.
As long as the panel supplies around 1/10 C
you can leave the batteries on charge almost indefinitely. For the 2700 mAHr
batteries this is 270 ma so a 5 watt panel with a 350 mA maximum output
could be left connected all day without worry of damaging the battery pack.

Don Brown

KD5NDB