Michael,

I have good luck using my KX3 with a Raspberry Pi 3B+ and also the new
Raspberry Pi 4 for both JS8Call and WSJT-X. I use an inexpensive USB audio
adapter/sound card and standard stereo 1/8" (3.5mm) male to male cables
connected between the MIC and PHONES jacks on the KX3 and the sound card. To
listen to the receive audio and monitor transmit audio, I split the PHONES
output using an 1/8-inch "Y cable" and feed one side to the sound card and the
other side to a powered speaker. For CAT control and PTT via CAT I use the
standard Elecraft USB serial cable from the ACC1 jack to a Raspberry Pi USB
port.

In Settings on the Radio tab, under CAT Control, I choose the K3/KX3 or KX3 as
the rig and /dev/ttyUSB0 as the serial port. You'll also want to match the
radio serial port settings, typically, 38400, 8, 1 and none. On the Audio tab,
under Soundcard, I select Default:CARD=device for both Input and Output.

This method may result in some low-level 60 and 120 Hz audible ground loop hum
when AC powered, particularly with the powered speaker connected, but the
transmit signal, at least in my case, is clean. You can certainly use a
SignaLink or equivalent unit for better isolation and level control, but I've
found that the little USB audio adapter/sound card works fine and is a really
compact solution for portable operation!

Audio Adapter:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N905VOY
Audio Splitter:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07431YDWM

73,
     Mike W8NWA