On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 12:59 PM Randy (Art) <wb8...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1.      I use my K3 and amp on all bands 160 thru 6 and have the internal 2
> meter xfter using with a HB PQL LDMOS amp I built.  It uses RCA phone for
> its PTT and the KPA 1500 is using the enhanced  cable. When I go from 6 to
> 2
> meters the amp clicks and the freq indicates 5 MHz in the display.  If the
> amp was in oper mode on 6 it then keys on when I tx on 2 meters.  Seems to
> me it should recognize that it is on 2 and best case boot itself into
> neutral.

This feature is already built in to the K3 / KPA500 or KPA1500 combo, but
not well known.

   1. While on 2m, go to the CONFIG:DIGOUT1 menu of the K3, set set DIGOUT1
   ON.  This drives ACC Pin 11 low when you are on 2m.
   2. This setting is per band and per antenna, so make sure DIGOUT1 is set
   to OFF on all other bands / antennas.
   3. Go to the KPA1500 menu TECH MODE and make it ENBALED
   4. Go to the KPA1500 menu TX INHIBIT and set it to ENABLED.  Pin 11 on
   the amplifier end is the Inhibit pin.

Per the KPA1500 manual, "When enabled and the INHIBIT line is pulled down,
the PA stage is bypassed. The MODE LED will remain in OPER.".

I just tested this an it works perfectly.  If DIGOUT1 is ON, and TX INHIBIT
ENABLED in the amp., the amp. does not KEY even though it remains in OPER
mode.  As soon as you set DIGOUT1 OFF (which will happen automatically on
other a bands), the amp. is keyed normally.  Please try this.

3.      On ssb and had TX Test mode selected so as not to TX.  When I hit
> the paddle the amp goes TX mode and actually put out a little RF on the
> LP100 meter.  Should not key amp in my thinking.

TX TEST mode has always closed the relay and keying lines even though the
rig is putting out no RF.  This is a safe way to test your keying relay
connections and amp. keying light, and perhaps it also protects the
receiver from getting a bunch of internal noise from inside the radio, so
that is working as designed.  Any RF you see could be caused by some static
when the amp relay is keyed, nothing more.  The K3 puts out no power when
in TX TEST mode, even if you have CW in SSB enabled and tap the key (which
you probably did at some point by going to CONFIG: CW WGHT and tapping [1]
to enabled it, which is useful in VHF bands it seems.  You can disable the
feature if you don't want RF to come out or don't want the relay to close
while you're in SSB mode and accidentally tap the paddle.

73,
Bob, N6TV