Maybe to the “Not quite as good as…” category. The issue is timing. Your code
has to poll to determine the KPA op state, then start all the transitions which
will result in the PTT line being negated. There are a lot of delays involved
here.

With the K3/KPA, the button press causes the KPA to send the mode change data
to the K3 immediately. We wait until the data transfer is complete before
starting the actual mode transition. By the time it is done and the KPA is
ready to go, the K3 has processed the message and switched to the alternate
(KPA) power level. By the time the K3 has displayed the KPA mode change on its
display it has already made the change internally.

Now realistically will anyone see a difference between the two methods?
Probably not. The only real way to tell would be to start sending a CW message
then tap the mode button to move the KPA to OP mode during the transition. Both
methods will pick up the change, but the built-in method will do it slightly
faster because of its advantage with not having to poll for the mode state
change over the serial port.

Nice job with the controller, by the way. I look forward to your write-up.

73!
Jack, W6FB