Yes and without proper lightning protection or static build-up prevention on a feedline, a nearby strike can induce 4KV+ on the antenna and feedline.  A flash-over will likely leave a carbon trace that will be followed by a few 100 watts of RF.   It only gets worst, not better.   On more than one occasion I've heard a snap snap only to observe a spark occurring between the shell and center pin of a PL-259.   This was before I installed PolyPhaser devices on the lines and before I stopped disconnecting my feed lines from the equipment.   Since then, no issues.

73

Bob, K4TAX