Conrad,
I had the same problem a few years ago when I placed my Alpha 9500 on the left
side of my K3S.  After much perturbation, I finally figured what the issue was.
 The power supply for the Alpha 9500 is on the right side of the Amp, and the
isolation transformers for the line in and line out are on the left side of the
K3 (K3S).  When in such proximity, the magnetic fields interact, and induce hum
when using line in on the Elecraft radios.   My solution ended up being easy.
The transformer in my Alpha was an old type, and I was able to switch it out
with the new model with (I think) is a toroidal core, and that solved the
problem.
Dick, K8ZTT

I put up a new 6m antenna mainly for EME and I was so looking forward to
using my K3S. The RX is great, I run it in parallel with 2 other receivers
and it works very well on EME. However try as I might I cannot get rid of
some quite bad hum on the TX Audio. I am using USB and before you ask yes I
have got a low impedance ground from the PC to the K3S although removing it
makes absolutely no difference.  What did make a difference was moving the
radio away from sources of magnetic fields such as monitors. However I
cannot get rid of it completely. It also increases or at least changes when
I put my hands on the radio.

I have a few other radios located nearby and close to a monitor, pc or PSU
and they do not suffer from this at all. Is this a common problem, is it a
bad ground in the audio path internally or magnetic coupling into an audio
transformer?

It is completely impractical for me to move my radios 10 feet from any
magnetic fields. Short of wrapping the radio in mu metal I really do not
seem to be able to fix this.

Any ideas? I have read and understood and followed Jim K9YC's advice and
this works perfectly for my other 3 radios. I am really at a loss.

73

Conrad PA5Y

delivered to ro...@mulzer.de

Message delivered to richarddw1...@yahoo.com