"I got the thresholds from Elecraft directly.
I never worried too much about them since the Elecraft guys are pretty smart
people and likely have done a lot more research on this than most of us."

That's possible but they only gave you half the information.  The thresholds
you quoted are for increasing temperature.  The fan speed step down thresholds
are lower than the step up thresholds.  (I have experimental data for fan
speeds up to, and including, 5 but have never seen 6 except when I set min
speed to 6 to hear how loud it was.)

I measured the fan speed thresholds over a year ago but that information
doesn't answer the question about any operation advantage of running min speed
greater than zero.

73,
Andy, k3wyc