Personally, I wish Elecraft offered a slightly different approach, rather
than a minimum fan speed setting, how about a RX minimum and TX minimum?
This would allow quiet operation on RX, but would anticipate a higher
demand for cooling on TX.

There is quite a bit of thermal mass and overshoot that happens in TX on
digital modes.  By the time the fan turns on, it tends to be running behind
the curve trying to catch up.  Starting the fan running as soon as the rig
goes into TX would help considerably and allow things to go back to quiet
in RX.

73, Bob, WB4SON