Your field antenna is essentially a very low off-center fed sloped dipole slightly longer than a half wavelength.  I'm not surprised you can tune it with the KX2, but it certainly isn't any kind of ideal antenna configuration that Elecraft would design for.  They just made a very well performing tuner for the KX2 that will work with almost anything.  I have a KX2 ... it's amazing what it can tune.

You didn't say how long your feedline is, but with a feed that far off center the shield of your coax is probably doing some of the radiating anyway.

Yes, a center fed normal dipole with the middle (high current portion) higher off the ground (say 50 feet for 40m) and a common mode choke at the feedpoint would almost assuredly perform better. If you can't get it that high, a vertical (even a 30 foot wire oriented mostly straight up) fed against a decent radial system might be a better choice if you don't have a lot of surrounding buildings/trees/telephone poles.

For the record, I also have on rare occasions used low sloped wires fed near one end against some sort of ground or counterpoise when camping or for a hurried Field Day setup.  They are easy to set up and sort of work, but they always performed very poorly compared to even the most basic dipole if I could get the dipole off the ground approaching a half wavelength in height.  Over the years I have operated roughly 20 Field Day contests (almost always 5 watts CW for the extra QRP points) and one year I used only a low sloped wire similar to what you described.  It was memorable for being the worst Field Day result I have ever had, and that's in spite of the fact that I've placed top 3 nationwide in my category on more than one occasion using only wire antennas strung from tall trees.

73,
Dave   AB7E