Wow! We're way over the single topic posting limit on this thread. Let's end it for now in the interest of helping others survive email overload.

73,
Eric
/mooderator.. elecraft.com/

On 10/11/2019 8:52 AM, Lyn Norstad wrote:
Rick -

You may have a balun issue. I had problems too until I switched to the 1:1 /
4:1 hybrid (based on antenna analyzer measurements).  And now, 160m matches
fine for me.  In fact, I made over 200 contacts (FT8, and mostly stateside) on
160m last week.

The KAT500 is "supposedly" limited to matching up to a 10:1 SWR.  That added
4:1 balun really brought the 160m impedance down to a manageable (and matchable) level.

My ladder line feed is about 160 feet, then the balun, and finally about 13
feet of RG8XU to the KAT500.

73
Lyn, WØLEN