This is a follow up on the VFO B control problem with a friend’s older K3.

Thanks to all the ideas and suggestions! I do agree that it is likely the
infamous K3 connector problem. As I mentioned, the K3 is an older unit. The ham
who it belongs to is 78 with bad eyes, and shaky hands. I’m 74 with bad eyes
and shaky hands. Neither of us feels qualified to tear into it for what
hopefully is the main issue. It could still be a bad encoder.
Since he needs a few other things done with the unit, he made the decision to
send it back to Elecraft and have qualified techs perform the repair. Painful
and costly but necessary.
When we did the hard reset, we hoped it would solve the B control problem.
Well, it didn’t. Now we can’t even scroll through the CONFIG menus to put
everything back as he had it.

Doesn’t matter. It needs to go home.

Thanks again for the valued suggestions!!

73 …

Jim Leder … K8CXM