Jim,

In my view, that is a very wise decision.  I'm 77 yrs of age ("seasoned
citizen") with shaky hands.  After observing just how small the SMD
components are when trying to install the K-pod mod for powering via its
data cable,  I realized my 6 year old K3 with an annoying problem (PWR
control mushy) needed to be sent home (aka The SPA).

What I hadn't expected was that they would also bring the radio up to the
latest specs by installing gold pins, installing the latest firmware (which
I thought I had done), repairing a LPA problem I didn't know I had, and
performing all of the calibrations (my POWER reading was significantly off,
they said).  Yes, it was a little expensive ($400), but well worth it, and
my K3 will now serve me well for many years to come.  You will not be
disappointed.

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 9:35 AM Jim Leder <k8...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> This is a follow up on the VFO B control problem with a friend’s older K3.
>
> Thanks to all the ideas and suggestions! I do agree that it is likely the
> infamous K3 connector problem. As I mentioned, the K3 is an older unit. The
> ham who it belongs to is 78 with bad eyes, and shaky hands. I’m 74 with bad
> eyes and shaky hands. Neither of us feels qualified to tear into it for
> what hopefully is the main issue. It could still be a bad encoder.
> Since he needs a few other things done with the unit, he made the decision
> to send it back to Elecraft and have qualified techs perform the repair.
> Painful and costly but necessary.
> When we did the hard reset, we hoped it would solve the B control problem.
> Well, it didn’t. Now we can’t even scroll through the CONFIG menus to put
> everything back as he had it.
>
> Doesn’t matter. It needs to go home.
>
> Thanks again for the valued suggestions!!
>
> 73 …
>
> Jim Leder … K8CXM

> Message delivered to clark.macau...@gmail.com

Clark, WU4B
QRPARCI #10815
SKCC #3892
NAQCC #5055
CWOPS #1869
Collins Collectors #AC90-12432
Southeastern DX Club <http://www.sedxc.org>
North Georgia QRP Club <http://www.nogaqrp.org>

*"It is vain to do with more what can be done with less."*
*Attributed to *William of Occam (1288 AD - 1348 AD)