"If you are polling the transceiver and have fairly recent version of firmware,
the ATU will change frequency at the boundary of the segment, with no
hysteresis. Twiddle your VFO knob in standby and you will here the relays
clicking right at the edges."

An explanation of how the tuner follows VFO frequency is probably incomplete
without understanding how RF detected frequency can override the VFO frequency.
  Someone familiar with KPA1500 may provide the details.  I'm only familiar
with KAT500 and I don't find the same tailoring parameters (FCCS and FCMD) in
the KPA1500 programming reference.

Andy, k3wyc