Jim,

Yes, switching between digital and SSB modes on the KX3 is troublesome from the requirements imposed by the single Mic input jack and the single headphone (SPKR) jack.

For convience in switching between Data modes and speech modes, you will have to go with the K3 which has independent per mode selections. The KX3 was not designed to have that same capability. With the KX3, some form of external switching would be required to switch from microphone input to your digital inputs. Attenuators in the PC soundcard to KX3 audio input might be requited so you do not have to contend with the differences in audio levels.

Such switching was not a part of the KX3 design, and you may wnat to upgrade to a K3 for your station instead of the KX3.

73,
Don W3FPR