Folks,

Good information, but while the "ANSI/EIA/TIA-723 Alt B." standard does
specify the DE-9 connector, please keep in mind that the converse is NOT
true.

Having a DE-9 connector does NOT infer that it is an RS-232 connector, or
even a serial connector.
The connector on the K2 is clearly labeled "AUX I/O" and that labeling
indicates that it has Auxiliary Input and Output lines - which should be an
indication connecting to that point that the manual must be consulted to
determine the pinout and signal usage - this is true for ANY similar
connector, even the DB-25 (which is also used in the PC as a parallel port.
If the connector conformed to any standard, be that RS-232 or
ANSI/EIA/TIA-723 Alt B, or any other, it would likely be proudly labeled as
such rather than "AUX I/O".

Even the early IBM PCs (which were one of the first users of the DE-9 for a
serial port) did not call them RS-232 ports, they were referred to simply as
serial ports, specifically because they did not comply with the RS-232C
standard (which was the current level at that time).  They did use similar
line names, but electrically and physically, those PC serial ports did not
comply completely with the standard - but they did work with RS-232 level
signals in most cases, while in other cases they caused headaches,
particularly with longer line lengths, but I digress.

Protect your K2 - the signals from the K2 should not hurt a proper RS-232
level receiver (in your computer), but applying the RS-232 switching
voltages to your K2 will likely cause the rapid demise of the devices
connected to the AUXBUS line inside your K2 and perhaps other fatalities can
result too.  Use the Elecraft specified pinout and purpose for any cable
ocnnected to the K2 AUX I/O.

73,
Don W3FPR