A few observations.

    We cannot think of the problem in passive terms. New hams will not come to
us in great numbers.
    We need to go to them.
    We need hams to help teachers set up and run ham clubs in schools.
(Collaborate)    We need to appear at events like Maker Faire and present ham
radio in a new light. Some of our local group started, "Not your dad's ham
radio" at the Faire. The Dorthy Grant Elementary School in Fontana is also
another good example.
     We could specifically interface with national youth-serving agencies and
start or enlarge programs. How about a Sota/QRP activity that we develop with
specific local groups?
    What not to do-     We had a science day a few years ago and had someone
set up a field day operation. Unfortunately, he set up the radios so that he
faced away from visitors and did not have a separate person to explain what was
going on. No one was interested.  We have done ham radio demonstrations and
information booths at dozens of fairs for years. Not a single new ham has made
themselves known from those events. Obviously we were doing the wrong thing at
the wrong place and probably in the wrong way.
     We have put lots of effort into outreach. We have done what seemed to be
the right thing, without analyzing whether it really was the right thing. Most
nonprofit groups spend huge amounts of money and time in this area with little
to show for it.
     We need to reach out to groups and form partnerships that work.  One
organizational technique I am using in my area is to establish "daughter"
clubs. These are smaller clubs or groups that we specifically help with
equipment and expertise to help them realize their goals. There is a specific
board member in our club that talks directly to a leader in the other club. It
seems to work.       Lastly, we must not sit on the sidelines deftly approving
of what others are doing. We need to be part of it. If there is a program that
is working, help keep it going.

      (My EdD. research was in this area.)
  Hope the latter helps,
    Dr. Doug Millar EdD