Charles is correct.   Even the fully loaded K3 is more expensive than the
fully loaded K4.    Look at all the add ons for the K3 such as high
stability oscillator and DVK then add in a full eight roofing filters when
you have a second receiver.   The P3 with external monitor card and before
long you are touching $6000 plus.  Remember the addition of the KB3 to allow
out of amateur bands reception.  Now take into consideration even the low
inflation of recent years and I am talking K3 not K3S.    The K4 is not
harshly priced plus the performance is improved at least from the Graphical
User Interface point of view and probably from an RF perspective as well.
The total package is smaller than a K3 with P3 combination.    Elecraft is
not gouging but presenting to us a new opportunity with what one hopes is
going to be again the top of the pile radio.   You can not expect to
purchase a K4D with superhet front ends for the price of an Icom 7300.

   The Icom is a great radio for the money but it is not in K4 territory.
You can gradually build up to the ultimate K4 if this is what you seek.
Again the modular approach taken by Elecraft is an advantage.   It also
seems that Elecraft is allowing for considerable expansion of K4
capabilities in future.

   Of course everyone is interested in seeing if Elecraft advances the
specifications as reported by Sherwood Engineering.   The user interface
will be improved now will the RF performance still be improved as well.

   I suspect that in most cases an old Drake twins pair will work everything
the K4D will work on non WARC bands but it may not be as comfortable to do
so.   I enjoyed the Drake twins but would not go back.

   Put the fully loaded K4 up against the best of the competitors and look
at the prices.    No I am not suggesting that our friends should not get
greedy but as things stand it looks like the K4 is a pretty fair deal for
one seeking the top of the line.

   May I also remind you that you are dealing in a radio made by people who
speak English.   The manuals tend to be better from our perspective.   I
have a Toyota Prius Plug In and boy does that manual have problems.
Technical writing is not a trivial matter.   This radio is going to be
complex.   We also have what from Elecraft what I believe is the best
support in the industry.   The Chief Engineers and CEOs Wayne and Eric
participate in this forum.

             73 Doug EI2CN