There are two things at play here. First, the KPA500 has an unregulated power
supply. On first key down, the power will spike, then quickly lower as the big
filter capacitors decay from their peak voltage to the rms voltage. This is
normal and we all see it. While I am sure you are seeing this, I don’t think it
is what you are commenting about.

The second thing is that over time the K3 power calibration may change. One of
the symptoms of poor calibration is power spiking, and I suspect this is what
you are seeing. The solution is easy, perform a power calibration on the K3.
The best way is to use the K3 utility’s Calibration selection; follow its
directions and you should see improved performance.

If that doesn’t correct the situation, let us know!

73!
Jack, W6FB