On 2/20/2020 10:22 AM, Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP wrote:
Not so fast. The K3's T/R switch can be overwhelmed by very strong signals. The result is intermod junk all over the bands. This happened to me with a 50 kW AM BC signal at about 1000 kHz that is line-of-sight to my antenna. I don't see why a super-strong VHF signal couldn't have the same effect.

AM BC signals are far more likely to cause issues because 1) they are much closer in frequency (as a percentage) than VHF/UHF, so 2) our antennas tend to be far less efficient receiving them, and 3) feedline loss is high at VHF/UHF, due both to normal increase in loss with frequency and because the feedline is poorly matched to the RX at VHF/UHF. Also, AM BC transmitters often combine in non-linear junctions to produce IMD that ON_FREQUENCY in our bands. I first experienced this more than 60 years ago, when local 5kW stations on 930 kHz and 1470 kHz put a monster product on 3870 kHz, wiping out the WV AM net on 3890.

The IM often occurs in the TX output stage; because FM and TV TX antennas are often in close proximity to other BC and 2-way TX sites, it is common for these TX to include a device called a "circulator" that prevents signal from another TX to backfeed into their own output stage, where rectification can occur, but it is far less common for AM stations to include comparable networks. In addition, of course, rectification can occur almost anywhere.

73, Jim K9YC