With this regard, Jack Brindle is absolutely correct.  The system as designed is more than adequate to safely and correctly interface the K3S to the KPA500 and then to the KAT500.  If the operator chooses not to use the system, as designed and intended, I view they they become a very underpaid design engineer with unknown project outcome.  Using another computer/micro-controller only adds an additional element for failure.  There is no way to make the system idiot proof except to remove the idiot from the equation.

Just use the cables as required and detailed in the manuals {which one must have and read} and then follow the instructions in the manuals.   Don't give me the crap "well it doesn't operate like bla bla bla".  That is correct, it shouldn't and it doesn't.    It is an Elecraft and the manual explains how it is to be utilized, and the methods do work.   I sit here daily in front of my K3S, KPA500, KAT500 and P3 with joy and a smile on my face realizing how efficient the system integration works.  It is more like having a 500 watt transceiver that covers 160M - 6M and works any mode I desire.   Now, that ain't bad!

73

Bob, K4TAX