"> Each “bin” has room for 6 ATU settings.  Each of these 6 ATU settings
> contains bits for the ATU relays (L, C, side, ATU bypass and ANT relays)
> plus an SWR measured when the ATU was bypassed.  The antenna number (ANT
> relay bit  settings) is included in the  ATU setting, so we don’t need to
> preallocate something like 2 ATU settings for ANT1 and 2 ATU settings for
> ANT2 and 2 ATU settings for ANT3 in a 6-setting bin."

And there is a simple explanation of one of the flaws of the KAT500 design!

Consider the case in which a particular bin is in a "band" that has 2 enabled
antenna.  Let's say these are ANT2 and ANT3.  ANT2 is an antenna that is in
development and is frequently tuned. ANT3 is a dummy load.  We start by setting
one of the 6 tuning solutions to bypass to match the dummy load.  Then we
launch on a series of experiments with ANT2, each having a new tuning solution.

I cannot reserve one of the 6 ATU settings for ANT3 and I cannot reserve a
small block of ATU setting for my ANT2 experiments.  After 6 tuning attempts on
my experimental ANT2 my bypass setting for ANT3 is wiped out.   When I select
ANT3 I will probably fault my KPA500.

There are multiple scenarios in which in would be advantageous for the operator
to be able to control how the 6 available solutions are allocated.   Allocation
could be controlled by allowing the user to assign each of the 6 tuning
solutions to a specific ANT port.  Allocation could also be controlled by
allowing the user to "lock" one or more tuning solutions.

"So please do not ask Dick anymore about this subject."

You may believe the design is perfect and should not be questioned.  I do not.

73,
Andy, k3wyc