Tom,

If your main interest is just in observing the fundemental wave, I would say
that a 100 mHz 'scope would be quite useful up through 30 MHz and with
caution even to 50 HHz - and with some more cautions, useful for looking at
signals up to 100 MHz.

Ron's point is well taken where there is interest in observing for waveform
distortion (an indication of parasitics), or for knowing that digital
signals are nice and square (that is where the 10:1 rule should definitely
be applied).  When you push the limits of the vertical amplifiers in a
'scope, even waveforms with lots of harmonic content begin to look like sine
waves, and as long as you know that, the 'scope can still be quite useful.

There is one other factor that must be considered - and that is the falloff
in amplitude response as you approach the upper limit of the 'scope rating.
The frequency rating of a 'scope is normally that frequency where the
amplitude response is 3 dB down from the response at lower frequencies.  So
don't expect RF Voltage measurements to be accurate at the upper limit.  If
you regard the upper limit of the 'scope's calibrated voltage response to be
about 1/3 of its frequency rating, all should be good - in other words, a
100 MHz 'scope will provide good voltage measurements up to about 33 MHz.

And don't forget that 'scope probes also have frequency ratings to them.
Get a set of probes that have a frequency rating equal to or above the
'scope rating - the higher the frequency, the more pricy they become.

I like Tek 'scopes, - the Tek 465 and 475 can often be found at $150 to
$250.  But beware, these and older 'scopes are no longer supported by
Tektronics and while repairs by independents are possible, parts
availability may be another matter.  If you are looking for an investment,
go with something more recent, but if you are willing to purchase an older
one knowing the drawbacks should something go wrong with it, you can find a
good one at a low price.  Anywhere between $150 and upward can get a working
'scope, but proper 10:1 probes will likely cost another $100 or more for a
pair.

Make your choices and like with any test equipment, know your equipment and
especially know its limitations so it does not cause you to reach incorrect
conclusions.  What you see is not always what it really is.

73,
Don W3FPR