You all caught me wearing my "engineering" hat, not my technician's hat.

Working in an development lab I often used a scope to study aberrations of a
variety of signals, not just to see a nice square wave. As others pointed
out, parasitics are often a much higher frequency than the fundamental
signal and may not display at all on a low-bandwidth scope. The signal well
look perfect even if it doesn't "sound" perfect.

Any variation from a perfect sinusoidal signal requires that the amplifier
be able to handle harmonics of the base frequency of the waveform. The more
harmonics, the more accurate the display. The 10X bandwidth "rule" is
strictly a "rule of thumb". In theory you need infinite bandwidth to
reproduce a signal perfectly. As always, practice demands something less
than theoretical perfection.

If all you want to do is see *a* waveform on the display and not necessarily
an accurate view of an unknown waveform that is being presented to the
input, then by all means you can use a scope up to and even beyond its
vertical bandwidth specs.

Service technicians usually don't need the wide bandwidth of a lab scope.
They commonly use a 'scope for a quick check on the frequency and amplitude
of a signal and perhaps looking for any gross distortion that might be
present. That's why so-called "Service Monitors" used on many tech benches
include a simple 'scope that has a relatively low bandwidth compared to
what's found in most engineering labs.

Like using any tool, it's important to understand the limitations of the
'scope on your bench as well as its features.

And speaking of features, I don't know the particular Tek scope being
considered, but dual-trace capability is an invaluable feature to me. I
often use the dual-trace capability to study the phase difference of two
signals.

Buying a 'scope is sort of like buying a personal truck to haul stuff
around. We seldom understand the need closely enough to know exactly what we
should get. And, no matter how big of a truck we might get, we'll eventually
find something too big and heavy to fit in it! Still, that doesn't detract
from its usefulness for hauling all the things that do fit.

Ron AC7AC