Hi Carl,

A reminder about this thread, its not about the performance of the K3,
its about the preferences of highly competitive contesters who have
many excellent choices in the marketplace. Arguably more choices
than ever before.

Rather than getting into detailed discussions about specific performance
parameters, let me just suggest that you do what we do at W3LPL
during every SSB contest. Set up a K3 for SSB using the best
parameter settings you're aware of. Then set up any other top-of-the-line
radio next to it. The comparison in received SSB audio quality is stark.
When digging weak -- often distorted -- signals out of noise and extreme
adjacent channel interference, overall receiver audio is extremely important.

Do the same test with SSB transmitted audio quality by setting up a "blind
test." Use the best K3 parameter settings you're aware of. Then set up
any other top-of-the-line radio next to it. Ask several very competitive
SSB contesters to listen to transmissions from both radios. Don't tell
them advance which radio is which, just tell them Radio A and Radio B.
I guarantee you that no competitive contester will prefer K3 transmitted
SSB audio over any of the other top-of-the-line radios in a blind test.

It won't be long before we can have some run running the same tests with the
K4.

73
Frank
W3LPL