Hi Jim,

You would have to seriously compete in an SSB contest with some of the
more modern radios in very crowded bands to fully appreciate how much
better the more modern technologies are for both transmit and receive signal
quality. The latest Flex radios are almost shockingly good, but all of the
top-shelf modern radios are significantly better performers than the
12 year old K3 or even the K3S.

We're discussing the most demanding situations affecting SSB transceiver
performance: weak -- often distorted -- SSB signals surrounded by
much stronger adjacent channel QRM. For much of the time on
20 and especially 40 meters the adjacent much stronger signals overlap
well into the receiver bandwidth. Typical spacing between SSB signals
is only 1.5 kHz, if you're lucky its 2.0 kHz and only rarely 2.5 kHz or more.
This situation is rather unimportant for the casual contester, but its a
game changer at the upper levels of serious SSB contest competition.

I have not made technical measurements of K3 SSB transmitter and
receiver performance nor do I have the capability to do so. I suspect the
more modern designs have improved the dynamic response of their entire
receiver and transmitter chain in ways that can't be captured by simple
static performance measurements such as frequency response, dynamic range
and IMD.

73
Frank
W3LPL