On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:45:12 -0700, Alexandra Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement! Actually, I feel this is a valuable learning experience:

(1) Bring your own gear and be familiar with its use in the field through practice, that way you'll always have a rig to plop yourself down in front of and operate - yours.

(2) Bring salt and pepper for the burgers, and mayo too, sriracha perhaps too, just to see if anyone tries it (super hot sauce found in all vietnamese noodle shops)

(3) Be good at code - If I were more up to speed on code, I'd have felt confident to just wait in the very short line to get on the CW station. Problem is, while I've been putting in work on it and getting better, I just wasn't "there" yet.

(4) Nice simple antennas work great, think long hunks of wire + tall trees = happiness.

(5) Computers are NOT your friends!! I signed up to do the digital station (psk31) because I can type better than most in the group and at least it's one thing I can do. Computers crapped out both for logging and I think when the one guy who set up the PSK31 station went home, the station went with him, at sundown. At the SSB station, same story, computer problems and unreliability. The GOTA station started humming right along once their computer died and they started a proper paper log. Learn to write well, quickly and cleanly, look up "directed script" or whatever it's called that the old time CW ops used. It can be transferred into a logging program that checks for dupes etc later, but in the 24-hour time window of FD, computers only slow ya down.

Now, I actually don't have any Elecraft rigs right now. It's a long story. if I build yet ANOTHER KX1 I'll prolly just get the stock one and the internal tuner, and not mess with additional bands. I could always add them later, but keep it really simple at first. And I'll probably just use my own paddle - I have one of the little American Morse jobs and it's neat. Also, a Vibroplex Code-Mite straight key which looks like a toy but isn't, it's a very nice, sturdy, good-feeling little key.

Oh, and I have an IC-7000 I just got.

73 de Alex NS6Y.