Welp, operator error big time.  Got an email from Elecraft tech support and
the first thing he told me to do was to unplug the RCA keyline and see what
happens.

AHA!

Last Friday I decided to use my IC-7300 instead of my K3 in the SKSS WES
contest. Yes, blaspheme I know. The 7300 only has one key jack so I had to
unplug the line going to my CW paddles and plug in a straight key.  Which
means fumbling around in the back of the rig blindly.  I
accidentally unplugged the RCA plug for the keyline to the KPA500 first.
Then with out thinking plugged it into the ALC phono jack which is right
next to the Key jack.  Which caused the amp to do what it was doing.

So I cleaned up the amp - needed some dust blown out - put it back
together, hooked it back up and guess what?

It works fine.

73, Bill NZ0T