When I built my operating desk, I made the top a full 36 inches deep so the face of the equipment is about 24 inches from the front. I also put the 2 pedestals on appliance dolly wheels so I can roll the desk out for access behind the equipment. There are shelves in the back to hold power supplies and all the other stuff that I don't need to see on a day to day basis.

I am fortunate to have a fully equipped woodworking shop and can do that kind of custom furniture design. I built the desk from good oak and it matches the custom trim and cabinets throughout the rest of the house.

73,
Don W3FPR