Jerry,

Ignoring how you've set up your station for the moment (every station has compromises but some push that to an extreme); the shutdown  of the connection is likely that RF got into the USB cable (as demonstrated by the hot ferrite) which caused the USB port hardware to lock up.

USB hardware can 'stick' so it won't work properly, a complete power cycle empties it of any charge, 'unsticking' the hardware.  (Yah a gross simplification, but you get the point.)

The only SURE way to restore it to function (assuming it's not blown) is a complete power down (unplugged from all power, let the power supply drain, disconnect the laptop battery, count another ten seconds) and restart.  That is why it worked after you 'cooled it off'.

If you can shift to a real serial port (not a serial dongle), that will help.  USB is RF intolerant compared to serial.  It's simplest to avoid USB as much as feasible near any RF.

If you can't avoid USB, you'll need to add a lot more ferrite or better yet, improve the antenna situation dramatically.

In the cases I MUST run a USB connection, I distance the antenna from the computer as much as possible and I run <100 watts (QRP to me), but generally that's when I run a portable station.  Jim, K9YC will tell you it's related to 'Pin 1' and the short version is that is has to do with bonding all things to a common ground; USB devices often ignore this.

In a few cases, improved bonding between the computer and radio /may/ help, but I'd have low hopes if the antenna is mere feet away.  Take the hot ferrite as a warning sign, it's not a healthy environment.

73,
Rick NK7I