You could try setting up counterpoises for the ham-stick. If it's for the
20m band, then ra few adial wires about 5m long should help. Connect to the
earth side at the base of the ham-stick. They're 1/4 wavelength so if tuned
correctly will act as a low impedance to the RF energy at the base of the
antenna providing what some call  a "virtual earth". They effectively form
the bottom half of the dipole antenna.

You'd want to protect your equipment. Another part of this equation would
be to stop RF going back down the outside of the coax to the radio. If you
don't have a choke ferrite to work with make a coil with the coax.
Inductance increases with diameter and amount of turns.

Also lower power. If you do the above then your antenna will be working
more efficiently anyway and you may find that you're doing well on 10W or
less as well as being safer. I got UK to USA on 10W on 20m this weekend
using Morse Code. Antenna was bigger which helps, though it was a dipole
who's main radiation pattern would have been more North/South (just the way
our garden is oreinted) not East/West.

 - Richard