If they are paralleling two 35A diodes in the new builds, they may have
repeated the same mistake.

Does this give a 50% derating (a typical factor) for full load forward
current?

I dunno.  One can do the math [1] and figure it out.

A 50 A bridge (no need to parallel) is OK by design.  That's just a smidge
under 50% derating.

I used a 75A bridge, IIRC.

73 de AI6KG

[1]