Ah, sadly, no. As much as I like to blame Microsoft, we have to start with RFC-1341 and Multipurpose Independent Mail Extensions.

Microsoft did not contribute to that RFC.

MIME allows more than one formatting option. We had something called "Rich Text" but Netscape brought us HTML as a formatting option, and that made it possible to embed code that would load malware on your computer.

That's when List Servers got the ability to strip formatting -- it put a stop to people blaming the list for the poor security in their OS.

HTML is a poor choice, but it's also supported in just about every E-Mail client.

This is where we can blame Microsoft (some), but it's hard to render HTML and detect all the possible issues.

73 -- Lynn, WB6UUT

P.S. Thunderbird is much better, but this issue remains.