Folks, I have restrained and refrained from entering this discussion until
I can no longer endure.  February 1, 1963 I sat for my Extra with the
District Engineer himself in the Federal Building, downtown San Francisco.
I never did know his name and I cannot read his signature on the
certificate on the wall behind me. I was a barely-21 year old Navy Seaman
going to the ET 'A' School on Treasure Island. I was taking the test
because one of my classmates had bet me he could get his Extra before I
could.  If remember correctly he told me he had had 12 screwdrivers that
night. I doubt it.  Who can count after three of them?

They gave the exam every Friday at the FCC office.  Friday was exam day
every week of the 38 week-long school.  In order to take it, I would have
to get special permission  to take the exam the night before and get the
the day off next day.  I knew I would be lucky if that happened and I
wanted to make very sure that I passed if I got the chance. I doubt the
navy would have allowed a second attempt.

So for six weeks every night I copied code from 10 wpm through 40 wpm from
the local code practice station, K6USN. They were the Naval Reserve station
on the other end of the island from us.  We were the Schools Command
Amateur Radio Club, K6NCG.  I could turn the RF Gain down on my receiver
and it was like having your own code machine.  I progressed until I could
copy 30wpm solid and get four of five written down (five letter groups!). I
was printing, not writing, and no typewriter.

When I walked into the FCC office and asked if I could take the Extra code
and written test, you would have thought I had come from Mars.  They almost
literally rolled out a red carpet. In those days, very few ever attempted
the Extra.  So  the engineer in charge ran the code machine. After allowing
a few minutes of warm up, he started the test tape.  When it finished he
stood up and said,"I will give you a few minutes to cross your T's and dot
your I's."  He was really trying to be nice to me.  Well I had copied every
character from the opening "VVV" to the ending "AR" in neat, block
letters.  I said, "I don't think that will be necessary,"  and handed him
my sheet.  he looked at it, smiled and said,"You're right."  I don't think
he even counted to see if I had 100 characters in a row.

I completed the written exam in a couple of hours. I'm not sure how many
questions were on it, but I remember one was , "Draw a schematic diagram of
a plate modulated transmitter."

A couple of weeks later I sat for the First Class Engineer License and got
it, with Ship Radar Endorsement.

My time at ET school on TI is one of many treasured memories.  I believe it
was the best of the military electronics schools.  I loved every minute of
it.

73,

Dave, K4TO