My CM500’s earpads are flaking pretty badly, leaving little back bits around
the home office/shack. They still work fine. I purchased them in December 2012.
I see that the same order has Eneloop XX batteries and a LowePro Edit 140 case,
so that was all ordered to go with my brand-new KX3.

Comments on my blog post suggested the Koss SB45 as another alternative. This
also has an electret mic, but somewhat different fit over the ears, and it is
cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Koss-sb45-SB-45-Communication-Stereophones/dp/B00081A2CW

Do not get the Koss SB40. That is the same headset as the Yamaha CM500, but
with an inferior dynamic mic.

The mic connector on my Yamaha CM500 is labeled “KOSS”, for what that’s worth.
I noticed that when choosing photos for my blog post.

It is normal for earpads to wear out. I replaced the pads on my Grado SR225e
phones after five years.

wunder
K6WRU
Walter Underwood