The KX2 has built-in logging of all text sent with the keyer paddle. You can
later scroll back through the data and transfer contacts to a formal log.

In practice I stop and log contacts, locations, and conditions on paper, even
during FD. Running 10 watts hand-held, every contact is an achievement and an
adventure :)  I recommend everyone try it at least once.

Wayne
N6KR