I have a solution for your NTP tick if you should ever want to avail
yourself.   It involves a time server and a USB connected GPS receiver.
Works FB until the GPS satellites fall from the sky.  :)

https://morsetutor.com/2014/10/jt65jt9-workstation-gps-time-sync/

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 10:57 Bill Frantz <fra...@pwpconsult.com> wrote:

> Back around 1960, when IBM was developing the 360 series, the
> people working on the architecture document adopted a policy of
> not answering questions. Instead they rewrote the appropriate
> section and asked if it now answered the question. The result
> was the best architectural description of a computer ever produced.
>
> I basically agree with Jim about emergency planning. For me, FT
> modes are out (even if they could pass the necessary traffic)
> because they require accurate time. My MacBook Pro doesn't keep
> accurate time without a continuous connection to a NTP source.
> When I'm at home, that comes via Comcast, which requires mains
> power, and will probably fail for other reasons as well. In the
> field I use my cell phone, which has the same problems.
>
> Power is also difficult. At field day, I've used an inverter 12V
> to 120V to power my laptop power adapter. I don't have to
> describe why this solution is bad in so many dimensions to this group.
>
> To solve the laptop power problem, I built a computer using a
> single board computer and a 12V monitor from Adafruit. When
> running it draws 800 mA, but the computer really isn't fast
> enough for the FT modes. Faster single board computers are
> available, but they draw more power.
>
> This computer still doesn't solve all the problems, I haven't
> found a good linux logging program, and it would be nice to have
> a short term internal battery backup to save the computer state
> when it gets accidentally unplugged. The backup battery should
> be relatively easy. One solution just powers the single board
> computer and not the monitor. Then the user knows power has dropped.
>
> Does anyone know of good logging software for linux?
>
> 73 Bill AE6JV
>
> On 5/24/20 at 2:02 AM, j...@audiosystemsgroup.com (Jim Brown) wrote:
>
> >I understand the intent of the statement in the FAQ. My point
> >is that these clarifications should be part of the FD RULES,
> >not an FAQ. To me, an FAQ is answering questions raised because
> >the Rules are poorly written or incomplete. If I were running
> >things, I would ban all FAQs and tell the author(s) of the
> >basic document(s) to finish their job!

> >The good thing about requiring true backup power for the computer causes
> us as hams to think more seriously about running in emergencies. The bad
> thing is that independent of the mains AND not powered by a generator is
> that most laptops now need 16-20V at their power socket, it's hard to find
> QUIET DC-DC converters, and it probably takes more power to run the laptop
> than to run a KX3.

> Message delivered to r...@wc3t.us

Rich Hurd / WC3T / DMR: 3142737
Northampton County RACES, EPA-ARRL Public Information Officer for Scouting
Latitude: 40.761621 Longitude: -75.288988  (40°45.68' N 75°17.33' W) Grid:
*FN20is*