The K3 has only one way to communicate with the KPA500 and KPA1500, that being
Auxbus. There is no communications on this path that allows setting of specific
power levels in the K3 - there is only the OP/STBY that simply selects either
the K3 high power (STBY) or low power (OPER) modes. You have to set those
levels in the K3. Simply put, the communication paths and protocols do not
exist for the KPA1500 to set specific power levels in the K3.

Now, I am happy to say that there is most likely an upgrade coming that will
allow the KAP1500 (but not he KPA500) to communicate with the transceiver to
set the power level. Of course, that upgrade is known as the K4.
The K4 and KPA1500 should work very well together.

It is kind of like the car you drive. You may want the car to have an
autonomous feature so that it drives itself, but you will have to buy a new car
to do that job. Me? I am saving my money and enjoying driving my old car.

The K4 is coming. I am sure you will enjoy it when it gets here!

73!
Jack, W6FB