I have always-in this order-done the following to a new ground rod installation: 1) application of an appropriate anticorrosive spray to the ground rod; 2) attach whatever wires; 3) when all is snug, wrap it all with self-fusing rubber tape with at least an inch of overlap at each end of the wrap; 4) wrap all of the fused rubber tape with plastic electrical tape, adding ~ an inch at each end of the wrap; and finally 5) add a comprehensive layer of "liquid electrical tape" to the entire tape assembly. Once this is accomplished, you will have a sealed attachment that will provide an excellent, long-term connection between the ground rod and the wire(s) provided by the the fused tape AND the way the liquid electrical tape will fuse the plastic electrical tape as it dries/cures.
I mention all this as a response to the question about the use of liquid tape.
I did all this working on the ground rods and radials connected under my HyGain HyTower.

Ed Tanton N4XY
Marietta, GA

Ed Tanton
Marietta, GA