I have found the solder iron method works for all my Elecraft projects, and for
some but not all “enamel” wire from other sources.
I just use a moderate temperature soldering station.  I think the important
clue is to place a glob of solder on the tip,
place the wire in the glob, and add a bit more solder for the perhaps 10 or 20
seconds it may take.  Another way
is to use a scrap of fine grit sandpaper in your fingers and gently stroke
toward the end of the wire.
If you need to scrape, or sandpaper the wire and do not get off all the enamel,
it is easy to finish the
job with a solder blob since you should get good heat transfer into the wire.
Make sure you use good
tin/lead rosin core solder which will tin the wire nicely.          Happy
soldering    KL7CW

Sent from Mail for Windows 10