Good Afternoon,

Recently there was discussion on backup strategies.  Here are my current methods.

I use three data protection strategies. The first is possible because of the way I design my computers. I use a small solid state drive for the OS and for all of the applications I use. Once everything is installed and all the settings massaged I make an ISO image of the drive and save it on my server. Then I clone a drive from that ISO and put it into a drawer. If I ever have a major OS crash I can pull that drive out of storage, install it into the box, and be running again in a few minutes.

The second method I use for data protection requires a versioning application. I use Subversion. When a set of folders with their attendant files is ready I create a Subversion repository to hold them. This repository is a database of files. Files can be of any type I have tried: C code, text files, CAD files, SPICE files, circuit board layouts, bills of material, etc. While I am working I commit my changes many times a day. If I need to recover a file from a week ago I can type svn update XXX and roll back my file system to when the XXX snapshot was current. I can also check out the repository to another computer and work on it. The first thing I do, when I start working on any of my computers, is type svn update. This pulls any changes from the repository and brings my files up to date. Then I write code, prose, or CAD committing the changes as I work. By typing svn update I bring each of my laptops and work computers up to the same revision number.

The third method of data protection is more common. I make copies of my files. I have found backup schemes which use compression or encryption get in my way. When I want to recover something it is not normally the entire system; I only need a small subset of the whole. So my backups consist of exact copies of files in the folder structure I built. If I need to, I can move entire chunks of the file hierarchy to recover from a major crash. For the most sensitive data I make a copy on the same computer but on a different drive and again on a separate machine.

The tool I use for this third method of data protection is a command built into Linux but available to Windows and Mac users too. Rsync lets me ‘push’ data from where it is to a remote location or ‘pull’ from a remote location to a local file. Rsync works across a network or across the Internet so you can have your files anywhere you have access. Linux provides me with another valuable command called cron. It is used to perform a task periodically, hours, days, weeks, months, etc. Once I set up a cron job I don’t need to worry about backing up my files. It all happens behind the scenes at whatever time of day I choose.

The first time you run rsync on a set of folders it copies the entire set. The next time it runs only the modified files are copied. Normal backup commands make compressed copies of all of the files in the chosen set of folders. Over time they build up a large set of files which are not readily accessible by humans taking up an inordinate amount of space. Rsync creates a mirror image of what your file system looks like right now. If you need one data file from the middle of that pile of files you can find it using your normal file system search mechanism. You do not need to decompress or decrypt anything. Everything is in front of you, easy to read.

I know this may seem Linux specific but it is not. That is just where I learned how to do this. Subversion, rsync, and a cron equivalent are available for both Linux and Windows systems and I suspect there are Mac versions too. The modern Macintosh OS is a flavor of Linux if you scratch beneath the surface. My first method of data protection is specific to how I build computers. Keep the OS and applications on one small drive while keeping all of the user created and collected data on a second, larger drive (or in my case across the network on the file server). The OS and application set do not change very rapidly so you can make a copy for later. The data changes on a regular basis so you need another method to preserve it.

Hopefully, these suggestions will help you keep your most precious data intact.

73 & GL with any hardware crashes,

   Kevin.  KD5ONS

-