On 6/14/2020 2:04 PM, oz6...@qsl.net wrote:
The only way I made it acceptable for him and others was dropping my
Compression and Mic gain to much lower values, that is 10 for each.

First, the numbers on the readout are MEANINGLESS. What matters is the indicated compression on the bar graph on voice peaks.

I know I have a low tone in my voice, so I expected the Compression to be much
higher,

it has nothing to do with low tones. What you need to do is to FIRST set TXEQ to -18 for the first three bands and to -6 fourth band, set the top two bands to about +3, with the others set to 0. Next, set COMP all the way off (0 setting), then, while speaking into the mic, adjust Mic Gain for meter indication of full power on voice peaks.Set the display to show compression, continue to speak, and turn up the COMP knob so that you see about 10 dB on voice peaks. That's the right setting.

but they say it causes a howling sound on their side.

Is it possible that you have MON turned up? Can you listen to your own transmitter on another radio?

73, Jim K9YC